Failure Analysis of Gaskets
Gasket is a kind of sealing spare parts used in machinery, equipment and pipelines as long as there is fluid. It uses internal and external materials for sealing. Gaskets are made of metal or non-metal plate-like materials through cutting, stamping or cutting processes, and are used for sealing connections between pipes. The difference between the internal and external mechanical seals of machinery and equipment
According to the installation position of the static ring, it can be divided into built-in and external mechanical seals. The mechanical seal in which the static ring is installed on the inner side of the sealing gland (or the part equivalent to the sealing gland) (that is, facing the working chamber side of the main engine) is called a built-in mechanical seal; on the contrary, when the static ring is installed on the outside of the sealing gland, it is called External mechanical seal.
Built-in mechanical seal: refers to the mechanical seal installed in the sealing cavity;
External mechanical seal: refers to the mechanical seal installed outside the sealing cavity;
Due to the good force of the built-in mechanical seal, the specific pressure increases with the increase of medium pressure, and the leakage direction of the built-in mechanical seal is opposite to the direction of centrifugal force, so the built-in mechanical seal is generally used. Only when the medium is extremely corrosive and do not want to consider the use of double mechanical seals under pressure, consider using external mechanical seals.
Built-in mechanical seal features:
1. Can be used in environments with high temperature and pressure;
2. Good stress condition and excellent sealing performance;
External mechanical seal features:
1. Suitable for use in low-pressure or negative-pressure environments;
2. The moving ring is installed outside the stuffing box, which is convenient for inspection and adjustment;
3. Due to the process, most parts are not in contact with the medium and are not easily corroded, and are easy to install and maintain;